Discover Japan's futuristic cities, ancient temples, traditional culture and stunning natural landmarks.
The Japan Rail Pass represents the ideal way to explore Japan and enjoy all this fascinating country has to offer. The most popular pass for train travel in Japan entitles you to unlimited travel across the JR rail network (including almost all of the high speed Shinkansen trains) and is valid nationwide.
If you are looking for great value for money, convenience and flexibility as a traveller in Japan, you can't go pass the Japan Rail Pass. From the popular cities of Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe to the beautiful regional areas such as Nagano, Chubu, Kansai and Fuji Five Lakes, with the Japan Rail Pass you can visit all the major destinations as well as the hidden gems.
- The Japan Rail Pass cannot be purchased in Japan.
- Once you buy your JR Pass directly via the Rail Plus website you will then be issued with an exchange voucher which must be presented at a JR station in Japan within 3 months of issue date.
- Rail Plus cannot sell point to point tickets in Japan, they must be purchased locally.
Click a Price to Make a Booking
Prices are in $NZD per person
Delivery fees: e-Vouchers are free of charge for booking which ONLY contain Eurostar, UK or French journey trains (must start in France), e-Ticket is free of charge for booking which ONLY contain Eurostar, UK, French journey trains or Spanish trains(subject to certain routes), $15 Courier, .
Prices will be subject to change on a weekly basis unless paid in full.
The Japan Rail Pass is not valid for NOZOMI and MIZUHO trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen lines. There are other Shinkansens that travel on these lines and you can use your Japan JR pass for these trains.
Reissue fees apply
- Prices are updated weekly due to the Exchange Rate and are guaranteed until Monday 5pm.An Exchange Order is issued which must be presented in Japan, at a JR Station that has a Japan Rail Pass Exchange Office. You will receive two Exchange Order vouchers labelled A and B (located in top right hand corner) which must be presented locally within 3 months of issue date. Your Rail Pass is then valid for travel to commence within 1 month.
- Important: At the time of exchange you will be asked to fill out a short application form and to show your passport with the temporary visitor stamp that you received upon entry into Japan. You must have your passport with you at time of the exchange (a photocopy is not acceptable and without your passport the exchange cannot be made).
- Children under six years of age may travel free of charge if they do not occupy a seat i.e. are seated on their parent's lap. (One child per adult only) Otherwise, they will need a Child Rail Pass.
- Child: 6 - 11 years